All proceeds from Run to the River support quality programs and resources at the Neighborhood Resource Center, a 501c3 non-profit educational and cultural center dedicated to fostering personal growth and community change in the Greater Fulton area.
When you register you are racing for:
Health: Your race improves your health, and the NRC works to support the health of the community. Last year the NRC served over 6,000 healthy meals to preschool and school aged youth, and 58 community members participated in programs like Tae Kwon Do, dance, and meditation which supported their minds and bodies.
Opportunities: Proceeds from this race keep the NRC’s doors open for neighbors to access resources. Last year,over 550 adults used the computer lab, and 37 adults participated in GED classes. Young people went on field trips where they saw opportunities and the world beyond their neighborhood. Both children and adults worked in the NRC garden and saw they had the ability to grow nutritious food in their own back yard.
Positive Change: By participating in Run to the River, you are supporting a center that supports real positive change. Last year, 167 youth received after-school tutoring to help them reach their full academic potential. 146 adult members received one-on-one job finding support, and 54 community members found jobs!
Education: Learning only begins at school. When youth walk through the doors at the NRC they have an opportunity to participate in programs like cooking class, where they learn not only to cook healthful meals, but use their math skills for measuring, and learn about cultures from around the world as they cook new and exciting dishes. Throughout the week youth can participate in a variety of programs that support and enhance their schooling, these include: dance, drama, writing workshop, recording studio, and more! Educational opportunities are not just for children, the NRC offers GED classes to adults, as well as computer literacy workshops, and one-on-one computer and resume help.
Want to do even more for the NRC? Become a Fundrunner (or walker)!
Fundraising couldn’t be easier:
1. When you register online a fundraising page is created for you, just fill-in the details and click next during registration. (If you want pictures or example text to add to your fundraising page see the samples below)
2. Send your donation link to friends and family, post it on facebook, and tweet it to your followers, so the folks you know can sponsor your run or walk. Fundraising is easier than you might think! Remember, if just 10 people sponsor you for $10 each, you’ve raised $100.
3. Watch your email or the NRC facebook page for fundraising mini competitions! Apple pies, and other delicious baked treats will be given to our top fundraisers in the weeks leading up to the Run to the River.
4. Stay for the finish line party. Fundraiser who raise at least $100 will be eligible for special race day prizes!
Good luck, and thank you!
Below are some sample pages other fundraisers have used. Feel free to send similar ones or reuse — simply copy and paste into your fundraising page
Thank you for visiting my fundraising page!
Your donation is going to the Neighborhood Resource Center , a grass-roots educational and cultural center fostering personal growth and community change in Greater Fulton, a low-wealth neighborhood in Richmond’s East End.
When you donate little goes a long way:
Your $5 donation
* provides one set of 16 markers for our after-schoolers to use for school and art projects or
* provides the paper for 100 resumes printed in our job support lab or
* purchases 2 packs of seeds (which could be up to 100 plants) for the NRC learning garden
Your $10 donation
* provides art supplies for one class of 12 students or
* purchases five seedlings for the NRC learning garden or
* provide camera batteries for six weeks of youth photography classes
Your $25 donation
* provides a healthy lunch to 16 Montessori Preschool students or
* provides one month of fax services to job seekers sending out resumes or
* provides one week of dance classes for youth and adults
Your $50 donation
* provides reduced tuition for one Montessori Preschooler for one week or
* purchases a full set of early reader books used by 1st and 2nd graders during after-school tutoring or
* provides one week of child care during GED classes
Donating through this website is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.
Many thanks for your support — and don’t forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to donate too!
On October 20th, I will be running up and down the hills of Richmond’s East End to help raise money for a grassroots neighborhood center. The Neighborhood Resource Center was started from scratch by people who live in Greater Fulton. Community folks got together and raised enough money to buy an abandoned post office in their neighborhood. They fixed it up with tons of volunteer help and have been running educational programs for people of all ages since 2005. The center has a sliding-scale Montessori Preschool, an after school tutoring and arts program, adult education classes, a career support center, a recording studio and a commercial kitchen where kids learn to cook! The center provides quality resources and opportunities to low-income families five days a week, all year around. They need support and so do I!!! Make a donation to the Neighborhood Resource Center and help me help others by clicking this link:
[insert the link to your fundraising page here]
If you’re fundraising offline and need an envelope with which to collect your funds, click the link below. Simply print this out and attach to a large mailing envelope. Write in the information in the blanks provided. Thanks!
Use these photos, or ones from our flickr, on your fundraising page (scroll over photos to see a description).
Support the community-building programs at the NRC–Start your fundraising today! Click here to begin.